Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Being a Disciple

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations... Matthew 28:19

That’s our mandate. That’s the challenge. That’s the goal. So where do we start this process and how do we evaluate progress? I ask that because it’s clear from the Bible some groups thought they were doing a good job only to find out later they were failing miserably.

Take for instance the church at Laodicea, they were rich and increased with goods and had no material needs, that’s how the Bible describes them. Talk about a financially stable church, a church with a healthy and successful life skills training program. Laodicea had it going on. I’m sure in their community they were the church to attend. Because the people seemed so grounded and stable. Yes, they seem a little arrogant and somewhat snobby. But at least what they were proud about - was true. And maybe in their minds they attributed their success to God’s principles at work in their church. But look at the rebuke they received from God. So do we learn from that story that disciples are people who are poor and have need of everything? I don't think so.

What about the other churches that are mentioned in Revelations 2 and 3. They all had some great aspects about them and disciple attributes in them. But yet, God still was not pleased. He told Ephesus: "turn back to me as you did in the beginning or I’m going to come and remove your lampstand from its place among the churches". He told the churches at Pergamos and Sardis: "repent or I will come unto you suddenly". So do we learn from them that God will only be satisfied when we get it all perfect? No, that's not right either.

I could go on and on asking pointless questions and going down dead end roads in my search to understand what God means by “make disciples”. But I think the point is clear: discipleship is not as simple as joining a church or getting saved. Making disciples does not mean we make a list of boxes that everyone needs to check off. Becoming a disciple is not a destination that you arrive at. It’s a daily decision that must be made and re-made everyday. Listen to the words of Jesus

Luke 9:23 (NLT) "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross daily, and follow me.

It’s a daily decision – and that is what makes it so difficult. You can’t choose to be His disciple for the rest of your life. You can only choose to be his disciple today, and then re-commit tomorrow It’s a one day at a time decision that must be made everyday.

This point is important because being a disciple is a personal decision. And that personal decision may be harder for some than it is for others. Some make that daily decision and lose their life for it. While others make that decision and are blessed. Does that seem fair to you? It’s not and it’s never going to be. But the fact remains we all have that personal decision we must make everyday. Look how Jesus said it

Luke 14:27 (NLT) And you cannot be my disciple if you do not carry your own cross and follow me.

You have to carry “your own cross”. I can’t carry yours or ask God for one like yours. I have to carry mine, whatever it may be. Being a disciple of Jesus Christ means I stop expecting the requirements to be fair and equal and I see the cross that is in front of me – MY cross. And I make the daily decision to carry it proudly and confidently as His disciple. This may seem unfair and confusing. But, that is the way it is. And as a Pastor my job is to daily challenge the people God has put under me to pick up their crosses and continue the march. And then call them to make that decision again tomorrow. No matter what happens to them whether it's good or bad.

Have you made your decision today?

1 comment:

  1. To seek his kingdom first in everything we do. We must desire to serve God and become dependent totally on the fact that he is our source and provider. I'm sheep and he is my shepherd.

    ReplyDelete